|Afro B Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Year of Birth||1993|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Afro B is a British musician and rapper who is considered as one of the pioneers of the late 2010s music genre called Afrowave, which swept the United Kingdom with its eclectic blend of African, Caribbean, and American music. He rose to overnight fame with his hit 2018 song Drogba (Joanna), a tribute to legendary Ivory Coast footballer Didier Drogba, which has been watched more than 50 million times on YouTube. He has collaborated with high-profile British musicians and groups such as Emeli Sandé, 67, NOT3S, Tion Wayne, and Yxng Bane.
Afro B was born in the year 1993.
Charlton, London, England, United Kingdom
Greenwich, London, England, United Kingdom
Afro B completed his primary and secondary schooling in London. He then graduated from the University of Hertfordshire in London, where he studied event management and the French Language.
Musician, DJ, Music Producer, Rapper
He is represented by –
- Joe Hadley, Booking Agent (USA), Creative Artists Agency, Los Angeles, California, United States
- Anthony Brown, Booking Agent (Rest of the World), Creative Artists Agency, Los Angeles, California, United States
- Ultimate Clientele, Management, London, England, United Kingdom
Afrobeat, Dancehall, Hip Hop, Reggae, R&B, Rap, Bashment
- Marathon Artists
- Defenders Ent
- AfroWave Digital / EMPIRE
- R.E.M.I. Recordings
- Ultimate Clientele
- Monkeybwoy Productions
- Warner Chappell Music
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He is of African descent. Both his parents are from the Western African country of Ivory Coast.
- Short-cropped hair
- Dense, thick beard
- Wears ear studs and a golden necklace
Afro B Favorite Things
- Music Genre – Gospel
- Rappers – Tupac Shakur, The Notorious B.I.G., Drake, Swae Lee, Tory Lanez, 50 Cent, Young Thug
- Singers – Pharrell Williams, Sir Elton John, Wizkid, Akon, Amy Winehouse, Michael Jackson
- Sport – Football
Source – Okay Africa, Vibe, FwordMag.com
Afro B Facts
- He has credited his progressive musical direction to his playing the keyboard as a kid in his church and listening to the traditional African music that his parents played when he was growing up.
- Afro B used to work as a retail assistant at the shoe retail company, C. & J. Clark and the clothing company Next plc in London. He also worked as a resident DJ at a club called NW10 in London before making a successful transition to a full-time musician. He has stated in an interview that many people in the music industry were skeptical of this move and he was determined to prove them wrong.
- For his hit 2018 single Drogba (Joanna), Afro B was nominated for the “African Artiste of the Year” award at the 2019 edition of The Headies Awards.
- For the remix of the song Drogba (Joanna), Afro B was hoping to get Nigerian singer and songwriter Wizkid involved but was unsure of how to approach him. Once, during a concert, both Afro B and Wizkid were performing. After his performance, Wizkid was in the audience and watching the subsequent performers. He was seen dancing to the tunes when Afro B was performing. When Afro B saw those clips, he uploaded them on Twitter and tagged Wizkid, praising his popular song StarBoy-Soco. Wizkid responded to the tweet, thus developing the relationship further, opening the doors to working on the remix of the song Drogba (Joanna).
- He is a strong advocate for promoting African culture and imbibing in African people a spirit of belongingness that they should all view themselves as one entity. He has also made it a point to criticize the under-representation of black women in music videos by featuring all shades of black women in the music video for his 2018 song Melanin.
Featured Image by Afro B / Instagram